For nearly a decade, Magnetic Magazine has been a leading voice in the world of underground dance music and the culture that surrounds it. We are now looking to bring in more writers to cover local events, new music and execute editorial strategies to take the Magnetic brand to the next level.
Magnetic writer and editorial internship (2022)
As an Editor and Editor-in-Chief, your primary focus will be executing the editorial strategies outlined by your Editor-in-Chief and Editor-in-Chief. The editorial team plays a central role in providing meaningful, relevant and well-written content for the website.
What you will do:
- Report to your editor and receive written assignments aligned with editorial strategy and your area of expertise (open positions listed below) to ensure the site is completed on a timely and weekly basis.
- Provide on-site coverage and reviews of local events and festivals and conduct interviews with artists and industry professionals to use as editorial writing for Magnetic.
- Play a key role in covering music industry changes, trend development, and other events related to underground dance music culture and ethics in the United States.
- Develop evergreen stories and editorials that deliver deeper value and understanding of dance culture to our readers that demonstrate brand authority and help our readers feel connected to the scene at scale national.
- Gain valuable understanding of writing for internet audiences, SEO, search and content marketing, and the day-to-day operations of the music industry.
What we are looking for:
- A deep understanding and passion for the genre(s) of music you are hired to cover.
- Familiarity with and/or interest in the AMA style.
- Digitally fluent with excellent verbal, written, organizational, time management and problem solving skills.
- Extremely thorough, thorough, accurate and able to meet deadlines.
- Demonstrated proficiency in electronic music production (for equipment and author of production only).
Scroll to continue
Status of open positions:
- (TO OPEN) Content Writers x2
- (TO OPEN) hip hop editor x1
- (TO OPEN) Dance Music News Writer x1
- (TO OPEN) Artist biographer x1
- (TO OPEN) Music production and equipment reviewer x1 (4 years of music production experience required)
- (TO OPEN) Game Writer x 1
This is an unpaid position, but here’s what you get:
- Free show and festival tickets
- Access to (almost) anyone in the electronic music industry for work-related writing purposes.
- Invaluable skills in SEO and content marketing.
- The opportunity to have your books read by our 250k monthly readers.
- Music production writers have access to free hardware, plugins, and other tools.
How to register:
Send resume and two writing examples to Will@MagneticMag.com with the subject line as follows:
‘[INSERT POSITION IN WHICH YOU ARE APPLYING] // [INSERT YOUR NAME]’
Note that we cannot respond to all applicants, so please do not proceed with your initial application once it has been submitted. We will be in touch with the steps to schedule an interview if we are interested.