The Courier Express and its sister publication The Progress in Clearfield have won six 2022 Keystone Media Awards in Division IV, which includes multi-day general news publications with circulations under 10,000 copies.
The Leader Vindicator, a New Bethlehem-based weekly publication, won three awards in Division VI, weekly general news publications with a circulation of less than 6,000 copies. All three publications are part of Community Media Group.
The list of winners includes four first-place winners, three second-place nods, and two honorable mentions. In the Special Sections category, publications in the CMG area won all three awards for Spooky Landmarks, 2021 Clearfield County Fair – We’re Back and 2021 Football Preview magazine.
“I think it’s great that our writers have done so well again at the Keystone Media Awards,” said editor Pat Patterson. “Our editors spend so much time covering current events in our local communities and writing stories to keep our readers informed, it’s great to see them recognized by their peers for their excellence.”
Journalists from Virginia judged this year’s competition.
“I congratulate the members of our editorial team for being recognized for their hard work,” said Ben Destefan, Editor-in-Chief of Courier Express. “We strive to keep our communities informed, with news and sports. It takes tremendous teamwork to mount special projects with our partner publications, such as Spooky Landmarks and Football Magazine. Seeing our peers honor these efforts is certainly gratifying.
This year, there were more than 2,500 entries from 110 state news outlets in 53 regular categories and 12 specialty categories across seven broadcast divisions and four broadcast divisions, according to awards host, the Pennsylvania NewsMedia Association. .
The Keystone Media Awards recognize news professionals for providing “relevance, integrity and initiative in service to readers and the public” while upholding First Amendment rights and responsibilities, the PNA said.
These prizes will be presented to winners at a brunch ceremony beginning at 11 a.m. on October 12 at the Sheraton Hershey Harrisburg Hotel.
Here is a complete list of local winners from Tioga Publishing:
- Courier Express/The Progress/Jeffersonian Democrat/Leader Vindicator, Special Section, “Spooky Landmarks”
- Mikayla Heiss/The Progress, Personality Profile, “Local Man Travels Continental Divide”
- Josh Walzak / The Leader Vindicator, Breaking News, “Smooth As Silk”
- Evanne Gareis/The Leader Vindicator, Feature, “Vietnamese Vet Finds ‘Lighter’ Side of Faith”
- Chris Wechtenhiser/The Courier Express, Sports Beat Reporting, “Senior Little League All-Star Coverage”
- The Progress, special section, “2021 Clearfield County Fair – We’re Back!”
- Josh Walzak/The Leader Vindicator, special section (weekly). “Trail guide”
- Courier Express/The Progress/Jeffersonian Democrat/Leader Vindicator, Special Sections, Football Preview Magazine.
- Jeff Corcino and Elijah Clark/The Progress, Lifestyle/Entertainment Beat, “Clark & Corcino’s Fair Food Review”